1999, The Eleventh year of Heisei
Year-end Presentation of Five Waka Poems by His Majesty the Emperor
- After the Memorial Ceremony for the Tenth Anniversary of Emperor Showa was over.
- When,early this year
I went to the Grand Sumo
My father so loved,
Filled with memories of Him
I watched the ring intently.
- Receiving the Grand Duke of Luxembourg
- When with the Grand Duke
I went to Yamanashi
For a Spring visit,
There close by us gleaming white
Stood Great Mount Fuji soaring.
- On our Fortieth Wedding Anniversary
- While along with her
Who has shared these forty years,
My well loved Lady,
I go for a morning walk,
The little grebe is calling.
- Okushiri Island
- After six whole years,
Revisiting that island
As I come closer I find
An island all over green.
- Ten years from my Enthronement
- In the gathering dusk
With crowds of people thronging
The Palace Plaza,
I listen along with them
To the glad festive music.
Year-end Presentation of Three Waka Poems by Her Majesty the Empress
- The Tenth Anniversary Memorial Ceremony for Emperor Showa
- Since that day of grief
Full ten years already gone;
By the August Tomb
The growing trees are thriving;
Their sight moves me to sorrow.
- In Memory of the Atomic Bombing of Nagasaki
- In this late evening
While cicadas sing their dirge,
Now will be the time
To float the Myriad Lanterns
And mourn at Urakami
- Greeting our Fortieth Wedding Anniversary
- It was like being
Back at the dim dawn of time
In the Age of Gods -
That day when I Went with You,
Along Ise's Sacred Path.