Kyoto Imperial Palace and other Imperial Villas in Kyoto

Photo (The Shugakuin Imperial Villa)

Photo Description
Lower Villa, Miyukimon Gate
Lower Villa, Miyukimon Gate
Miyukimon Gate has a shingled roof and its wooden doors are decorated with openwork of rhomboid flower patterns.
Jugetsukan
Jugetsukan
Jugetsukan was the place where the retired Emperor Gomizuno-o reposed himself before climbing to the upper villas. The present structure was rebuilt in 1824.
Rakushiken
Rakushiken
Initially, Rakushiken was built for the Princess Teruko, a daughter of the retired Emperor Gomizuno-o.
Kyakuden
Kyakuden
The structure was moved from the Nyoin Palace of Tofukumonin (Consort of the retired Emperor Gomizuno-o) in 1682. One of the two rooms, Ichinoma contains a tokonoma alcove and a staggered shelf. The shelf is called “Kasumidana (shelf of mist)” because the designs of the shelf resemble a mist floating. The shelf is considered one of the three most treasured shelves in Japan, with the “Katsuradana” in the Katsura Imperial Villa and the “Daigodana” in the Daigoji Temple in Kyoto.
Rows of pine trees
Path Lined with Pine Trees
The three villas are connected by graveled paths lined with pine trees. The paths were constructed in the Meiji Period.
Yokuryuchi Pond and Rinuntei
Yokuryuchi Pond and Rinuntei
In the Upper Villa, there is a large pond, called Yokuryuchi. Situated on the south bank of the pond, at the highest level of the Upper Villa, is Rinuntei (meaning Pavilion of Near-Cloud), where visitors could overlook the panoramic view below.
Kyusuitei
Kyusuitei
Kyusuitei with a pyramidal shingled roof is situated in the highest level of the middle islet of the pond, which is the only building from the era that remains.
Chitosebashi Bridge
Chitosebashi Bridge
Chitosebashi Bridge is Chinese style stone bridge covered with an arbor. This was presented by Kyoto Shoshidai(the deputy for the governor-general of Kyoto) in the early 19th century.